Document management system (DMS) with MediaWiki
We help you through out your project of setting up a Document management system (DMS) solution in your wiki.
Keep in mind the goal of this wiki if to get rid of office documents (word processor and spreadsheet) by transferring the content onto the wiki. We advice to upload only documents that are not editable on the wiki like pdf files or images. In addition those two types of documents will appear in any page of the wiki.
Features of DMS with MediaWiki
- Customize search parameters depending on your activity in addition of traditional criteria: Name, Date, Format...
- Choose what detail you want to show when uploading your file
- Set which kind of files are allowed to be uploaded to the wiki (.doc, .pdf, .xls...)
- Grant upload rights (right to replace an existing files in the wiki by an other) to contributors of your choice.
- Take a quick glance at previous version of documents.
- Discuss the content on the discussion page.
- Summarize the content of the document in the discussion page.
- Allow any person to upload, search and find quickly any document to download and read it.
- Attach documents to articles on the wiki, your DMS goes directly on the data base online and open source.
How is a document uploaded in the DMS ?
- Log on your Wiki
- After clicking on "Add a document", fill in the upload form and give details about the document.
- Click on Publish, the document is on the wiki with all its meta-data attached.
How to find a document ?
The details (or meta-data) given when uploading a document allow you to find it quickly in a few clics. But you can still use the classic search by name
- From the menu, you can go on the "advanced search" page.
- Click on one or several details(type of document, format, date...) To display only the name of the document that appears at the bottom of the page.
- Click on the name of the document you are looking for to get to access its page.
- On that page you can download the document to read it offline and consult/modify its meta-data.
Example of details (that can fit your job or activity)
- Name of the document
- Name of the send + service / department
- Name of the recipient
- Name of the enterprise recipient
- Theme(s) (specific to your activity area)
- Type of document (Invoice, quote, correspondence, documentation, relaunch, procedure...)
- ID of the document (for invoices for example)